Thursday, April 19, 2012

Lesson Reflection


Although nothing in life ever goes directly as planned, I am generally pleased with how my lesson turned out. I prepared for the day by reviewing my lesson plan and PowerPoint so I would be comfortable with the order of the lesson as well as what I would be talking about. I didn’t exactly have a behavior plan but the class ended up being pretty well behaved. One student had his phone out and I just kindly asked him to put it away and there was no problem. Another student insisted on standing during the lesson. At first I just let her do her thing since she was in the back of the class and wasn’t distracting anyone. When this student got up and stood on her chair it became a safety issue and once again I kindly asked her to sit down and she listened. I believe respect and kindness go a long way in a classroom and If I wish to be respected, I must first respect my students. Yelling and getting frustrated when kids act out will only cause them to act out more because they know it bothers you.

The main objectives of my lesson were to explain the macronutrients and develop a healthy meal plan for one day.  As an informal assessment, the students had an opportunity to develop a meal plan at the end of class. A future exam would assess their knowledge on the macronutrients. Overall, my lesson plan was executed as written with the exception of some minor details. I wrote that I wanted one responsible student to click the Smart Board during the game, but instead I had the teams choose who they wanted to come up at each question. This was fine and didn’t negatively affect my lesson in any way.

The MOST IMPORTANT thing I tried to teach my student is that eating healthy (balanced meals, low saturated fat and sugar intake) can prevent age-related diseases (type II diabetes, heart disease, osteoporosis etc.) therefore adding years to your life. I feel I got my point across the best I could. Even after the lesson everyone said they learned something new – definitely rewarding to hear that!

One of my students told me I packed too much information into the lesson… I was afraid I would do that. I just have so much I want to share with people about health and nutrition and I forget that it’s a lot to take in a once. Next time I may simplify the lesson even more, maybe save disease prevention for a whole new day. Another thing I know I need to work on are my “um’s” “like’s” and “you guys.” I tend to throw these casual words and phrases around a lot when I speak, and it just doesn’t sound professional when teaching. Definitely something to work on!

After hearing such positive feedback from the students and reading their reviews I feel confident in my decision to become a teacher. J

8 comments:

  1. You should be pleased. This was one of the best lessons I have seen thus far.

    You stated, "I believe respect and kindness go a long way in a classroom and If I wish to be respected, I must first respect my students. Yelling and getting frustrated when kids act out will only cause them to act out more because they know it bothers you."

    I agree with you. As a teacher, you need to build trust with your students. Once you have that (and you will), you will be able to teach in peace.

    Thank you for being such a wonderful student.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen,your lesson went extremely good. You were so prepared. I liked it a lot. Great Job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This lesson was really great! You seemed very confident and knowledgeable with your content. I was so excited to see that you included my little performance in your reflection! Haha! You handled the behaviors very well. You're going to be a great teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristen, I enjoyed your lesson very much and learned so much from it. I like the fact that you knew your material well and were able to explain it to us all without hesitating. You were very nice and smiling all the time. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristen,

    I really anjoyed your lesson! Even though I have heard it many times before, your lesson helped me to understand the importance of a healthy breakfast. You had a great approach to the students and also completely understood the subject matter. By having the students plan a healthy breakfast, lunch, and dinner helped them apply what you had taught. Great job! You were very professional but still allowed the students to joke around with you. Great job establishing a welcoming and entertaining environment! You'll be a great teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristen,
    You're lesson was great. You were calm, had the students moving a lot, and knew your stuff. The exercise where we had to make our own healthy meal plan for the day was awesome: it got us to be able to work together and develop our own plan based on what we learned. You had us moving and having fun from beginning to end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought that your lesson went really well. You were had a lot of information on you subject, and every time some one had a question you had an answer with a real life example to go along. I really enjoyed your lesson and I learned a lot. Great Job

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your lesson was really good. I really enjoyed it and it seemed like you did too. I definitely learned something about calories. You did a great job!!

    ReplyDelete